Cathie J. Atkins Ph.D.
Associate Dean and Professor of Psychology Emerita
College of Sciences GMCS 604-H
5500 Campanile Dr.
San Diego, CA 92182-1010
B.A., San Diego State University, San Diego, California, Psychology, 1974.
M.S., San Diego State University, San Diego, California, Clinical Psychology, 1976.
Ph.D., University of California, Riverside, California. Psychology (Social/Personality/Health Behavior), 1981.
- Behavioral Medicine/Health Psychology/Behavioral Epidemiology
- Health Promotion/Disease Prevention/ Health Outcome Evaluation
- Research Methodology/Ethical Issues in Research
- Underrepresented Student Training and College Opportunities
- Program Evaluation
- Predictors of Student Success and Retention
- Alfred, L., Atkins, C., Lopez, M., Chavez, T., Avila, V., & Paolini, P. A Science Pipeline Pathway for Underrepresented students in the Biomedical Sciences. Journal of Women and Minorities in Science and Engineering, 2005, 11, 45-60.
- Kaplan, R.M., Eakin, E.G., Ries, A., Toshima, M., & Atkins, C.J. Co-Management of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. In S.A. Shumaker, E.B. Schon, J.K. Ockene & W.L. McBee (Eds.), The Handbook of Health Behavior Change,New York: Springer Publishing Company, 1998, 411-434.
- Hovell, M., Blumberg E., Sipan C., Hofstetter C.R., Burkham, S., Atkins, C., & Felice, M. Skills training for pregnancy and AIDS prevention in Anglo and Latino youth, Journal of Adolescent Health, 1998, 23, 139-149.
- Palinkas, L. A., Atkins, C.J., Miller, C. & Ferreira, D. Social Skills training for Drug Prevention in High Risk Female Adolescents, Preventive Medicine, 1996, 692-701
- Palinkas L, Atkins C, Noel P, Miller C. Recruitment and retention of adolescent women in drug treatment research. Invited chapter: Treatment for Drug-exposed Women and Children: Advances in Research Methodology. NIDA Research Monograph Series. Washington DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1996, 87-109.
- Hovell M, Hillman E, Blumberg E, Sipan C, Atkins C, Hofstetter CR, Myers A. A behavioral/ecological model of sexual development: A template for AIDS prevention. Journal of Sex Research, 1994, 31(4), 267-281.
- Hovell M, Sipan C, Blumberg E, Atkins C, Hofstetter CR, Kreitner S. Family influences on Latino and Anglo adolescents' sexual behavior: Implications for AIDS prevention. Journal of Marriage and the Family, 1994, 56, 973-986
- Hovell, M.F.,Meltzer, S.B., Zakarian, J.M., Wahlgren, D.R., Emerson, J.A., Hofstetter, C.R., Leaderer, B. P., Meltzer, E. O, Zeiger, R.S., O'Connor, R.D., Mulvihill, M. M., and Atkins, C.J. Reduction of environmental tobacco Smoke exposure among asmatic children: A controlled trial. Chest, 1994,106, 440-446.
- Meltzer, S.B., Hovell, M.F., Atkins, C. J., dePeyster, A., and Meltzer, E. O. Reduction of secondary smoke exposure in asthmatic children: Parent counseling. Journal of Asthma, 1993, 30, 391-400.
- Madsen, J. Sallis, J. Rupp, J., Senn. K., Patterson, T., Atkins, C., & Nader, P. Relationship between self-monitoring of diet and exercise change and subsequent risk factor changes in children and adults. Patient Education and Counseling, 1993, 21, 61-69.
- Madsen, J., Sallis, J., Rupp, J., Senn. K., Patterson, T., Atkins, C., & Nader, P. Process variables as predictors of risk factor changes in a family health behavior change program. Health Education Research, 1993, 8, 193-204. *Awarded the Douglas S. Leathar Award for the article which “best reflects the values” of the founding editor of Health Education Research.
- Atkins, C. J. and Kaplan, R.M. Close Relationships in the Epidemiology of Cardiovascular Disease. In W.H. Jones and D. Perlman (Eds.),Advances in Personal Relationships: Volume 3, Jessica Kingsley Publishers LTD, 1991, 207-231.
- Hillman E.; Hovell M.F.; Williams L.; Hofstetter R.; Burdyshaw C.; Rugg D.; Atkins, C.; Elder J.; Blumberg E. Pregnancy, STDS, and AIDS prevention: evaluation of New Image Teen Theater. Aids Education and Prevention, 1991 Winter, 3(4):328-40.
- McKenzie, T., Sallis, J., Nader, P.R., Patterson, T., Elder, J., Berry, C., Rupp, J., Atkins, C., Buono, M., and Morris, J. BEACHES: An observational system for assessing children's eating and physical activity and associated events. Journal of Applied Behavioral Analysis, 1991,24,141-151.
- Atkins, C.J., Senn, K., Rupp, J., Kaplan, R., Patterson, T.L., Sallis, J.F. and Nader, P.R. Attendance at health promotion programs in Mexican-American and Anglo families: Baseline predictors and program outcomes. Health Education Quarterly, 1990, 17, 417-428.
- Kaplan, R.M., Toshima, M., Atkins, C.J. & Ries, A. Adherence to prescribed regimens for patients with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. In J.K. Ockeene & S.A. Shumaker (Eds.), The Handbook of Health Behavior Change,New York: Springer Publishing Company, 1990, 126-143.
- Elder, J., Atkins, C., deMoor, C., Edwards, C., Golbeck, A., Hovell, M., Molgaard, C., Nader, P., Sallis, J., Shulkin, J., Sleet, D., Wildey, M. and Young, R. Prevention of cigarette smoking and smokeless tobacco use in public schools in San Diego County, Sozial-Und Praventivmedizin Medecine Sociale et Preventive, 1989, 34, 24-29.
- Patterson, T.L., Sallis, J., Nader, P.R., Kaplan, R., Rupp, J., Atkins, C.J., and Senn, K. Familial similarities of changes in cognitive behavioral and physiological variables in a cardiovascular health promotion program, Journal of Pediatric Psychology, 1989, 14 277-292.
- Kaplan, R.M. and Atkins, C.J. The well-year of life as a basis for patient decision making. Patient Education and Counseling , 1989, 13, 281-295.
- Sallis, J., Patterson, T.L., Mckenzie, T., Bouno, M., Atkins,C. J. and Nader, P.R. Stability of systolic blood pressure to stress in young children. Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, 1989, 10, 38-43.
- Nader, P.R., Sallis, J.S., Patterson, T.L., Abramson I.S., Rupp, J., Senn, K.L., Atkins, C. J., Roppe, B.E. Morris, J., Wallace, J. , Vega, W. A family approach to cardiovascular risk reduction: Results from the San Diego Family Health ProjectHealth Education Quarterly,1989, 16,229-244.
- Kaplan, R.M., Atkins, C.J., and Wilson, D.K. The costs-utility of behavioral programs in Non-Insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus.Health Promotion. 1988, 2, 331-340.
- Patterson, T.L., Rupp, J.W., Sallis, J.F., Atkins, C.J. and Nader, P.R. Aggregation of dietary calories, fats, and sodium in Mexican-American and Anglo families, American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 1988, 4,75-82.
- Sallis, J.F., Patterson, T.L., Buono, M.J., Atkins, C.J., & Nader, P.R. Aggregation of physical activity in Mexican-American and Anglo families. Journal of Behavioral Medicine,1988, 11, 31-41.
- Kaplan, R.M., and Atkins, C.J. Behavior modification in the management of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. In J. McSweeney and I. Grant (Eds.) Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease: A Behavioral Perspective. New York: Marcel Dekker, 1988, 123-162.
- Vega, W. A., Sallis, J.F., Patterson, T. L., Rupp, J.W., Atkins, C.J., & Nader, P.R. Assessing knowledge of cardiovascular health related diet and exercise behavior in Anglos and Mexican-Americans. Preventive Medicine, l987, 16, 696-709.
- Atkins, C.J., Patterson, T.L., Roppe, B.E., Kaplan, R.M., Sallis, J.F., & Nader, P.R. Recruitment issues, health habits, and the decision to participate in a health promotion program. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, l987, 3, 87-94.
- Kaplan, R. M., & Atkins, C. J. Selective attrition causes overestimates of treatment effects in weight loss studies. Addictive Behaviors, l987, 12, 297-302.
- Sallis, J., Nader, P.R., Rupp, J., Atkins, C.J., & Wilson, C.W. San Diego surveyed for heart healthy foods and exercise facilities.Public Health Reports, 1986, 101, 216-219.
- Greer, S., Dickerson, V., Schneiderman, L.J., Atkins, C.J., and Bass, R. Response of male and female physicians to medical complaints in male and female patients. Journal of Family Practice , l986, 23, 49-53.
- Vega, W., Patterson, T., Sallis, J., Nader, P., Atkins, C., & Abramson, I. Cohesion and adaptability in Mexican American and Anglo Families. Journal of Marriage and Family Counseling,1986, 48,857-867.
- Nader, P.R., Sallis, J.F., Rupp, J., Atkins, C.J., Patterson, T., , Abramson, I., The San Diego Family Health Project: Reaching families through the schools. Journal of School Health, 1986, 56, 227-231.
- Kaplan, R.M., and Atkins, C.J. Behavioral approaches to the management of Type II Diabetes. In R.M. Kaplan and M.H. Criqui (Eds.) Behavioral Epidemiology and Disease Prevention. New York: Plennum International Publishers, 1985.
- Kaplan, R.M., Ries, A., and Atkins, C.J. Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Annals of Behavioral Medicine,1985, 4,5-10.
- Toevs, C.D., Kaplan, R.M., and Atkins, C.J. The costs and effects of behavioral programs in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Medical Care, 1984, 22, 1088-1100.
- Kaplan, R.M., Atkins, C.J., and Timms, R.M. Validity of a Quality of Well-Being Scale as an outcome measure in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Journal of Chronic Disease, 1984, 37, 85-95.
- Kaplan, R.M., Atkins, C.J. and Reinsch, S. Special efficacy expectations mediate exercise compliance in patients with COPD. Health Psychology, 1984, 3,223-242.
- Atkins, C.J., Kaplan, R.M., Timms, R.M., Reinsch, S. and Lofback, K. Behavioral programs in the management of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 1984, 52,591-603.
- Kaplan, R.M., Wilson, D., Heitzmann, C.D., Toevs, C.D., Atkins, C.J., and Sandler, J. Randomized trial evaluates behavioral interventions in Type II Diabetes Mellitus. Diabetes,1983, 32,644.
- Kaplan, R.M., Atkins, C.J., and Lenhard, L. Coping with the sygmoidoscopy examination: Effects of perceived control and relaxation preparations. Journal of Behavioral Medicine,1982, 5,67-81.
- Kaplan, R.M., and Atkins, C.J. Psychological issues raised in the California Supreme Court Case, People vs. Collins. Psychological Reports, 1982, 50, 259-266.